I was recently asked to help contribute to an article about ways in which to keep your pet’s coat in great condition 🙂
For me, as someone who sees a lot of anxious dogs and cats, getting your pets used to grooming equipment at a young age is key! Always make the introduction positive (and below the threshold at which they get anxious) and pair it with something good (a treat, a pat etc).
Things to focus on include:
– Introducing a brush / comb.
– Introducing clippers – first just the sound from a distance and then the feel of the vibration on their skin (if you don’t have clippers, you can use the ‘Sound Proof Puppy App’.
– The feel of water on their skin
– The sound and feel of the hair dryer
– Nail clippers
– Getting your pet used to being handled all over (including tummy, face and feet).
If you have an older pet who is already anxious, it’s not too late! We can often work to reduce their anxiety and help them to realise that being groomed isn’t as stressful as they might think – so don’t dispair!
For more top tips and to see my contribution then read on 🙂